Based in Sydney, NSW, the World League for Protection of Animals Inc (WLPA) is an Australian campaign and rescue organisation which has been fighting for the rights and well being of animals, both native and non-native, since 1935.
WLPA is funded by membership fees and the generosity of our supporters. We aim to use our funds for the benefit of the animal causes we champion and keep our core staff to a minimum. WLPA relies on the support of compassionate and generous volunteers for hands on rescue work.
WLPA runs a ‘no-kill’ animal rescue program. Unlike other major animal welfare organisations, we have a network of volunteers who assist the community in trapping and rescuing abandoned companion animals as part of our Cat Compassion Community Circle initiative. Those who support us are directly supporting animals in need.
Our mission is to actively promote the rights and well-being of animals through legislation, humane education and hands-on rescue work. Our ‘no kill’ rescue program for companion animals aims to rescue, desex and rehome hundreds of abandoned kittens, cats and dogs each year.
Currently, WLPA campaigns on the gross cruelty done to wild dogs through 1080 poisons. Mostly however, during 2014, our native animal campaign work has entered a research and development phase so that a planned approach to new priorities can be realised as soon as possible and so work can be costed and implemented effectively.
We actively campaign to:
– Stop the commercialisation of our native wildlife, with present emphasis on the Kangaroo
– Ban the use of 1080 poison
– Ban the use of the steel jaw traps in Australia (we succeeded in having this banned in NSW and ACT in 1997)
– Ban recreational hunting of all animals in NSW state forests and National Parks
– Implement a no-kill policy in pounds and shelters to stop the killing of thousands of healthy cats and dogs every year
– Lobby NSW councils to provide low cost desexing programs for low income carers
– Abolish the farming of the Asiatic ‘Moon’ bears in China cruelly milked for their bile
– Abolish vivisection and the fur industry
– Ban circuses with animals
– Protect Australia’s dingo by lobbying our government to recognise and protect it as a vulnerable species
Phone +612 9817 4892 (weekdays 10am to 6pm).
For after hours emergency rescue or for adopting animals from WLPA please contact
President Halina 0407 456683
Co-Ordinator Jonine 0409 741414.
Fax +612 9817 4509
Latest posts by Liz Walden (see all)
- Is it OK to Buy A Dog Online? - February 3, 2019
- Summer Dangers for Pets - January 17, 2019
- Overheating in Pets Can Be Fatal: How to Spot the Signs - January 16, 2019