Cookie and Cassidy are two very lucky dogs! They were rescued and now live the life of pampered and loved pets in Sydney.
But, like many dogs, Cookie and Cassidy enjoy their food, and if it’s not locked away or guarded – it’s not safe – particularly from Cassidy.
So the first opportunity he gets to crack open the not quite shut pantry door, he was in there and unfortunately for him the one Tupperware container he managed to crack was full of macadamia nuts. I got home after work and found the empty container and two very happy and content dogs! I recalled seeing information on the Petsecure website that macadamia nuts can be dangerous for dogs – so I rang the vet immediately. After assessing the risk they were both whisked to the vets and as I was unable to work out who ate what, they both had their stomachs pumped.
Poor old Cookie had to endure this treatment for nothing because as it turned out as his stomach was empty. Cassidy on the other hand had a sleep over at the vets for his troubles. You would have thought he would have learnt his lesson…NO, a few weeks later a container full of raw cacao powder was stolen and eaten. Luckily this time we could pinpoint Cassidy as the culprit as he had chocolate all over his face. Another trip to the vet, another stomach pumping and another sleep over. Two trips to the vet totalling $509.00! Without pet insurance, such an unexpected cost would have made a huge dent in my budget!
Of course, we’re much more careful with making sure the pantry door is closed tight now!
Read this article to find out more about food that is toxic for dogs and save yourself an unexpected visit to the vet!
Latest posts by Liz Walden (see all)
- The True Cost of Buying and Owning a Puppy - May 20, 2019
- The Benefits and Importance of Regular Pet Grooming - May 20, 2019
- Travel with Pets: 6 Tips if you Plan to Travel with a Senior Dog - May 8, 2019